Planning: Lighting

The planning of the lighting is very important as the video will require good lightening to make it effective, if the lightening is poor, the video won't look good as it could be dull or over exposed. To be able to get the right lightening that I need in my video, I will use Continuous Lighting. This lighting will help to highlight my actress in the video, it will make her stand out and show that she is the main focus of the video.
This are the type of lighting tools I will be using to enhance the lighting


I took some photos of my actress to practise with the lighting that I would use, this would be for my video and for my ancillary tasks. 
This is a portrait shot of my actress with no extra light added. There was light coming in from the right of Tonicha, this is what created the shadow in the background, artificial lighting was present, but it gave the photo a dull look. 
















This is a photo of Tonicha when using continuous lighting, by using this lighting it has helped to enhance Tonicha from the background, it has also highlighted Tonicha's key features. This type of lighting is what I want for my music video and when taking photos for my ancillary tasks. 

















This is a mid shot, again there was natural lighting coming in from the right hand side of Tonicha. This photo looks very dull and doesn't have much life to it. By adding the extra light will enhance features on Tonicha and also make her stand out more. 








For this photo I had someone holding the lighting above Tonicha, this highlighted very distinct features that Tonicha has, such as her cheek bones.  This is the kind of photo that I would like to use in my magazine advertisement and digipack. I got this lighting by holding a continuous above Tonicha.



                                                           
                                                                                    




Tips on lighting

By watching this tutorial on lighting, it has shown me way on how I should set my lighting up for my video. I didn't realise until watching this video how much impact minor adjustments can have on the set up that is being used.

Key tips that I learnt from this video are:
If the lighting source was directed straight at the object I was wanting to light up, I shouldn't point the light straight at them, this is because it will cause overexposure on that person and the lighting won't have any significant impact. Another tip is that you should try not to get on white or plain walls, if there is no way of avoiding being in that situation, you should try and cover up the wall as much as possible. When there is objects that involve lighting in the background, it should create interest not attract attention. It should not be soul lit as it will take away the attention from the person that's in the shot, the main focus would be on the light. A final tip I learnt from the video is that the key source of lighting that I will be using should be on the opposite side of the camera, this is because if they were on the same side it will create a 'deer in the headlight look' whereas I want a more cinematic look that has shadows and dimension. Little sources of light could also create more definition on objects that have a lot of detail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment