Independent Research- Music Experience and Behaviour in Young People

After looking into the research carried out by the University of Hertfordshire, I can see that not all their figures match up to my personal music experience and behaviour.

"The computer is no longer their main entertainment hub in the past 2 years it has been superseded by the mp3 player. 65% listen to music on their mp3 player/iPod every day. By comparison, and only 18%% use their CD player on a daily basis." 

For my personally, I still go on my computer/laptop as I like to play music off it, I use a HDMI cable which connects to my television, I do this as it has a better sound quality. I do not store music on my mobile phone as I don't like it to waste my battery, etc. However I do not use a CD player other than if I am in the car, but sometimes I connect an aux lead to the CD player in the car so I can stream music off YouTube, this allows me to have the choice of music I would like rather than just stick to one CD or the radio. 

"Digital music collections are still huge. Even if the average size of these has declined as respondents move to accessing music on streaming sites as well as storing more of their music on mp3 /IPods and increasingly on mobile phone. The average computer or hard drive contains almost  4,000 tracks but the

average number of tracks on mp3 players rose sharply from 2009’s 1829 to 2011’s  2796. Mobile phones are also increasingly used to store music with the average number now 527 from 2009’s average of 32."
I don't have a music collection on my phone as I don't feel the need to, however I do use YouTube a lot as it is my favourite streaming site, I do have a playlist on my YouTube account, this allows me to add my favourite songs into one playlist so I can listen to them one after the other. I don't store any copies of songs on my computer either, this is most likely as I don't see the point because it takes up a lot of memory which could be used for photos. 

"Digital Music collections still contain "50%" free music, the average amount of digital music collection that has not been paid for is above 50% with the average amount of 'free' content much higher for males, almost 60%."
Not much of the public pay for their music anymore, this is because it is available to the public for free, this is not legal though, they are illegally downloading the audio to their phones, ipods, etc. The quote above shows that it is more men that download the music illegally, this may be because women are more willing to pay for the music because they are more intrigued in the music industry and watching their favourite artists do well. 

"Owner ship is still important, this is still true both online and offline. Young people are using the growing range of licensed digital music stores and they still want to own music on physical formats but this has more to do with their desire get superior sound quality associated with the physical artefact."
This shows that young people still want to own CD's, but personally as a young person, I don't. They may want to so they could Rip it onto their computers default media player so they can have the music on their laptop, synced onto a phone/ipod, and also have the copy in the car.
"Music is no longer the most popular entertainment choice, it has now been superseded by Internet access."
This quote may be the reason sales figures in CD's has fell because people are now buying them on stores such as iTunes which is on the computer/phone/iPad. It could also be because people are just not listening to music as much anymore because they have other stuff.
"There remain a very clear "value gap", there is large disconnect between the substantial popularity of music and the amount of money spent on it, especially when compared to other entertainment types."
This shows that artists are spending more money on creating singles, albums, music videos than they are getting back off the public, artists would not have a very successful career if it was just down to selling the single, as not everyone that listens to it will buy it, they will either stream it or illegally download it. They earn a lot of their money from concerts, festivals and shows. Other entertainment industries are earning significantly more than the music industry.
 "They are prepared to pay for digital music, a considerable but slightly smaller number of respondents (69% from 2009’s 85%) who are P2P downloaders would be interested in paying for an unlimited, all-you-can-eat MP3 download service. 74%% of these said such a service would stop them using unlicensed P2P services, and 59% that they would still continue to buy original albums"
I would be willing to do P2P services so I would get unlimited music downloads, even though I don't download music, this sounds like a good idea and is one I would definitely consider it. This will help the music industry because they are still getting a percentage of money from the payment, but they will be loosing out.

"Digital music consumption is still complex...Despite an overall reduction in such behaviour there are still 56% % of respondents who have copied a CD for a friend; 54% have sent music by email, Bluetooth, Skype or MSN; 44% have copied a friend's entire music collection; 34% have downloaded music from an online storage site; and 29%% have ripped a TV, radio or internet stream."
Most people will never stop getting music illegally, they will either download it off a mp3 converter, YouTube's URLs will be used in this process, or some people may send playlists to their friends. This means the friend is getting it for free, it isn't illegal but it isn't haven't a positive impact on the music industry, unless the friend decides they like the artists songs so they decide to buy more. I personally have had songs bluetoothed to me as a child, it was one of the best ways to communicate with friends.
 

 
 








 


 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete